Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Update - Check DMV website

Hi Everyone:

I am away right now. I have received word from DMV and Assemblyman Feuer's office that we ought to check the www.DMV.ca.gov website after 10am in the morning. The message states that DMV will reverse its policy. Supposedly, those of who ordered and paid for callsign license plates from the DMV and instead received plates which have a space in the callsign may exchange them at no charge. Supposedly a procedure will be stated after 10am.

For 2.5 weeks, we have been hearing unconfirmed rumors about this outcome. DMV messages have been inconsistent throughout this process. For the last week, I have been stressing to DMV that they ought to correct a problem they created at no charge to us. A fraction within DMV wanted to charge us for a "change of plate." My arguement was that we need a "correction" at no charge. Until we see confirmation let us not get ahead of ourselves.

I asked a senior DMV official - why they were reversing policy? I was told it was due to the letters and petitions to legislative offices. When this official did not say it was due to lobbying efforts by ARRL, I asked if they had been working with ARRL? I was told no. They were unaware of ARRL.

The fact is, see emails below, ARRL has been critical of and attempted to stop those of us who received these plates from pursuing our legal right to redress. Also see John Ardnt, KG6S's site www.kg6sblog.calsage.com which points out ARRL took no action before the popular campaign forced them too. In order to purse a claim, the complainant must have legal standing; be a direct party. ARRL's standing was not recognized, see Assemblyman Feuer's response to ARRL on www.NoSpaceHamePlates.blogspot.com. Not only do we have a legal right to pursue redress, which can not be assigned or taken by ARRL, if we do not exercise those rights we lose them. ARRL also prematurely announced that it had resolved this dispute and that our letters and petitions had impeded their efforts. The fact is that the popular uprising by the hams of California has pressured DMV to change its policy!

I am away until next week and unable to answer emails. Good luck in checking the DMV site!

73s,

Cliff
Cliff Cheng, Ph.D., WW6CC
www.NoSpaceHamPlates.blogspot.com
Licensed Since 1975
Formerly: WN6JPA, WA6JPA, KI6CM
Life Member - ARRL, QCWA



1c43ff0.jpgBob Vallio to Richard, me

show details Jan 4 (10 days ago)
1c44000.jpg

Reply
1c4400f.jpg

Hi Cliff,

Here is the original message. While I was searching what I thought was all of my mail, I decided to take a look in my SPAM file, and there it was. I have learned that I must search my SPAM file separately, if I am to find the target word there. Sorry I did not realize that, but that's not how the search is supposed to work. I'll look into that.

Balbiani's response is full of weasel words, and does not address the obvious intent of California Vehicle Code Section 5005 that the license contain the call letters assigned by the FCC as shown on the amateur's license . Neither does his response address the false statement from his office that the spacing was being done to conform to federal requirements.

I'm not sure of the efficacy of your letter writing program, but since you have already chosen to launch it, there's little to be done. Please keep Dick and I advised of further actions you may undertake; preferably before their implementation. Thanks.

73, Bob -- W6RGG

1c4401f.jpg1c4402f.jpgWW6CC, Cliff ChengLoading...

Jan 5 (10 days ago)

1c4403e.jpg1c4404e.jpgWW6CC, Cliff Cheng to Bob, Dick,

show details Jan 5 (10 days ago)
1c4405e.jpg

Reply

Hi Bob:

Your email and our telecon last night offers no workable solutions,
just criticism of our grassroots campaign to reverse DMV's foolish
actions. You suggest we try to influence DMV. As I explained last
night this has been done and failed. From DMV's letter to Marvin
Munster, it is clear DMV has dug its heels in. From my years of
experience as a former LA City Commissioner and prior to that an
Advisor to the Calif. Fair Employment and Housing Commissioner and US
EEOC, and the advise I have gotten for political pros our method of
generating as a grassroots campaign to apply pressure from outside
onto DMV by way of petitioning the legislature is the way to go. Dick
has not mentioned his experience of government to me, have you any?

We respectfully ask you to reconsider your position. We welcome your support.

Cliff


On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:59:02 -0800, "Andy Oppel" <andy@andyoppel.com>
said:
>
> >Hi Cliff,
>
> Bill Hillendahl forwarded your note to me. ARRL Pacific Division
> Director Bob Vallio, ARRL Southwestern Division Director Dick Norton,
> and I all ask that you hold off on letters and petitions and give us
> a chance to work this through channels. We have several people (all
> of whom are hams) working different angles on the issue, including an
> attorney who knows California state law, a professional lobbyist in
> Sacramento who is our state government liaison, and some guys in
> Southern California who have connections with the DMV. Our fear is
> that a letter writing or petition campaign at this time could
> undermine the efforts that are already underway.
>
> I know how frustrating government agencies can be, but one common
> characteristic is that things change slowly. So, it's going to take
> some time to resolve this. And if we decide that letters to
> legislators would help, we will put out a call to do so, and include
> you in that request.
>
> -- Andy Oppel, N6AJO
> ARRL Pacific Division Vice Director

No comments: